|| Coat of Arms
On a field
of silver, a battlemented castle on azure ocean
waves, superimposed on a Cruz de Santiago (Cross
of St James) of heraldic red. On either side
of the fortress, seemingly that of Aledo, are
a sword and a sable key, both of which are inverted.
Stamp of the royal crown.
The origin of the town's flag dates back to April 14, 1257,
after King Alfonso X had conquered the fortress
of Aledo and the outlying area of Totana from
the Muslims. These were then surrendered to
the Orden de Santiago (Order of St
James) in exchange for the cities of Callosa,
Catral and Elda which had belonged to the aforementioned
Order and had been handed over to Prince
Manuel, brother of King Alfonso,
when he was named Governor of Murcia. These events have
influenced significantly the heraldic symbols of Aledo
This flag is now used once again
as the standard of Totana, despite its disappearance
in the past, thanks to the efforts of Doña
María del Carmen Crespo, the town archivist.
Documents have revealed that the said flag cost the
Council of Totana 25 ducats, although it is not known
where the flag was embroidered.
The flag is as described below:
The 'lizard' of Nuestro Señor
Santiago (Our Father St James) in the centre
on a white background.
The term 'lizard', meaning red sword, was the emblem
of the Orden de Santiago (Order of St James)
and it was used to refer to the crimson Cross of this
The flag was bordered with golden and crimson tassels
and braids of the same colour were hung from the flagpole.